Saturday, June 6, 2020

Thoughts after School Shutdown in March 2020

It is now early June.  We are post COVID19 first wave attempts to flatten the curve.  My school district left 3 days early for our spring break and then did not return to classes.  Based on recommendations from the governor of Tennessee, schools remained closed.  We were allowed to enter the school buildings a few hours on a couple of days in May which included scheduled times for students to enter to pick up personal belongings, etc.  Our school year was over.

I won't dwell on the thoughts and emotions of life basically put into a holding pattern.  I did pick back up journaling some thoughts and emotions during those 6 weeks of uncertainty.

Even though I physically isolated myself,  I stayed beyond busy trying to assist teachers with providing students with online and digital materials, keeping our Facebook group updated several times a day, recording read alouds (and watching the buffering circle go on and on and on),  and helping my husband provide content in his role as a pastor of a small congregation.   

I used some of that time to finish quilting a baby quilt, cleaned out and organized a couple of storage closets, worked in the yard and flower beds, and of course, I read.  I also started listening to two tech gurus  (at least they are to me).  

I highly recommend two blogs and podcasts I listen to:  Shakeuplearning by Kasey Bell and Google Teacher Podcast.  I have learned so much from these blogs and podcasts.  And I am glad I did because I have been asked to help train and prepare my faculty for potential virtual learning or a possible blend of in person and virtual classes.  

No matter what July, August, and September bring to our schools, we are attempting to plan for at least 3 scenarios to make sure students are still able to learn.  No easy task.

One glaring problem that became abundantly clear throughout this time period is technology inequity in our community.  Add to that major internet infrastructure holes and gaps especially in more rural communities.  Society was unprepared to go home to work and do school at home.  One solution is to have something on the electric poles that criss cross America.  Like the old law that made electricity available to all rural communities, the same thing needs to happen for internet service. 

Next post will be about reading and books so check back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Getting ready to start school in the 2020 Pandemic Universe

I am sure many others deal with the same issues as me when the first day of school approaches every year.  My brain is full of "to do l...