Friday, August 12, 2016

Beginnings and stuff

I have struggled with physical organization of my small library space as well as wrapping my head around ways to read aloud to students while adhering to a state librarian evaluation model that does not allow independent reading time, choosing of books or just reading to be entertained.  As I cleaned out, moved things around and read this summer, I found myself asking what is reading?

I don't have all of the answers nor do I pretend to be an expert.  However, I have found one blog post that at least gives an easy to understand, layman's definition of close reading. Many parents probably have no idea what it means.  This teacher explains it well.  http://hojosteachingadventures.com/2014/03/close-reading-whats-it-all-about.html

Meanwhile, parents juggle schedules, sports practices, games, work, supper, and other things but are asked to read to children every night, even school-age children.  Reading is one of THE most important things anyone can learn to not only survive in life but to succeed. This site from the Smithsonian is a great source of informational text that anyone can use.  http://tweentribune.com/

Free online read alouds are a great way for me to introduce new books or topics to my students. Our library is small. Likewise, our budget is very small.  I cannot order a wide variety of new and interesting titles every year. Online books give me an option to meet that need.  Students need to hear books read fluently and with expression.  These options are a great starting point.  http://rachelktutoring.com/blog/free-online-read-alouds/

For residents of the state of Tennessee, through tel4u.org (Tennessee Electronic Library-a free service to Tennesseans) you can access World Book's early learning resources.  It is a great site I learned about this summer.  http://www.worldbookonline.com/ewol/home#knowItcategory

I have more to share next month! Happy August! 

Mrs. Trevenia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Getting ready to start school in the 2020 Pandemic Universe

I am sure many others deal with the same issues as me when the first day of school approaches every year.  My brain is full of "to do l...